Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 4 of my Book of Mormon challenge. Some patterns I've been noticing...




1) Do I react to trials more like Nephi or Laman and Lemuel?

The book of First Nephi is full of examples of how people react to trials when they have the Lord's Spirit with them (Nephi) and when people don't (Laman and Lemuel).  What are the patterns of both parties?  

  • Lord commands them to return to Jerusalem to get the brass plates. First two attempts fail. How do both parties react?
  • In the wilderness the last bow breaks so they can't get food. How do both react? 
  • Lord commands Nephi to build a ship, which I assume he has never done before. How do both react? 


2) If I need a spiritual pep talk, Nephi shows me how.  

Nephi is awesome. I am seriously excited to meet him in heaven. I love the spiritual pep talks he gives his brothers. These are the same pattern of pep talks I've given myself and my family many times when we've needed to boost our faith. Because God has helped our ancestors, scripture people, and us do seemingly impossible things in the past, He can help us again. I've gained much strength from listing our past miracles just like Nephi did. What patterns do you notice in these awesome pep talks? 

  • 1 Nephi 3:15-21
  • 1 Nephi 4:1-3
  • 1 Nephi 7:8-15 
  • 1 Nephi 17:23-51

3) If God commands it, He'll help me do it. 

Some places you'll find this promise: 

  • 1 Nephi 3:7 
  • 1 Nephi 4:1
  • 1 Nephi 17:3
  • 1 Nephi 17:13
  • 1 Nephi 17:50 
When have you seen God command you, either through a formal commandment, or through church leaders or a prompting of the Spirit, and He has made a way for you to obey it?  Making a list of these times is an awesome spiritual pep talk (see item number 2).  




No comments: