Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Day Nine of Book of Mormon Challenge... It's all about Christ


This is me this morning. I've found that a combination of audio and reading keep 
me going at a pretty good pace. I need help pacing when I'm reading 20 pages a day! My usual pace for scriptures is s.l.o.w.  



I can't seem to think without a pen in my hand, even though I'm using my 14-year-old Book of Mormon, well beloved and well marked with years of colors, notes, stickers, and inserts. I've thought of buying a new set (mine doesn't have the current pictures or maps and the backside of the covers are flaking off) but I love them too much. Sigh...











Here are three more patterns I've noticed (continued from part one)...



4. The Book of Mormon is All About Christ 

Anyone who thinks Mormons aren't Christians must not have read the Book of Mormon...


  • Jacob "labored diligently among [his] people that [he] might persuade them to come unto Christ..." (Jacob 1:7). 
  • "We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins" (2 Nephi 25:26). What more can I say?
  • Christ is referred to 48 times in the second chapter of 2 Nephi. THAT'S 48 TIMES. IN ONE CHAPTER. Yes, we are Christians. Read the whole book and then try to convince me otherwise. 
  • Nephi's writing and teaching was aimed at one thing: "to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God..." (2 Nephi 25:23). 
  • Lehi's only objective was the "everlasting welfare of [his posterity's] souls" (2 Nephi 2:30). 
  • The fullness of Nephi's intent is to "persuade men to come unto...God...and be saved" (1 Nephi 6:4). 
  • Jacob's intent in writing was for later people to "know that [they] knew of Christ and had a hope of his glory many hundred years before his coming..." (Jacob 4:4). 

Question to self: 


Is the fullness of my intent, my mission, my purpose in life, to bring souls to Christ? Like these wonderful prophets from ancient America? I hope it is.  What am I doing with my time, efforts, thoughts, and actions to bring souls to Christ, starting with myself and my family, and reaching outward from there? 






5. What does my soul delight in? 

These passages are so dear. Does my soul delight in these things?

  • Nephi delights in teaching his people the truth of the coming of Christ (2 Nephi 11:4). 
  • His soul delights in plainness (which I think means understanding) of the doctrine of Christ (2 Nephi 31:2-3).
  • He delights in the words of Isaiah because Isaiah prophesied of the Redeemer (2 Nephi 11:2).
  • Nephi's soul also delights in the covenants God made with Abraham, and in the Lord's grace, justice, power, mercy, and eternal plan. In teaching his people that Christ is the source of their salvation (2 Nephi 11:5-6).

Question to self: 

How much does my soul delight in the fact that Jesus Christ, my Redeemer and Savior, came to earth?  That He is the source of my hope and salvation? How much does my soul delight when I can understand Christ's teachings, plan, and words for me? 






6. What do I feast on? 


  • Do I "feast upon the words of Christ [knowing that] the words of Christ will tell [me] all things [that I] should do?" (2 Nephi 32:3)
  • Do I "receive the Holy Ghost [knowing that] it will show unto [me] all things what [I] should do?" (2 Nephi 32:5) 
  • Do I feast upon God's love? (Jacob 3:2)
  • By feasting on the word of Christ, do I "press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men?" (2 Nephi 31:20)

Question to self: 

Am I daily feasting on Christ's words, God's love, and receiving the Holy Ghost?  Am I following Christ's words and the Holy Ghost in my thoughts, words, and actions?  Am I filled with hope and press forward with a heart full of love?  






No comments: