Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Personal Progress for leaders and moms...you can do this!



Did you Young Women leaders realize you can earn your Personal Progress medallion with about half the requirements of the girls?  I just earned one again, but the first time under the new requirements. So I've earned three versions of medallions. One from when I was a young woman, one as a leader under the old program, and now under the new program. I don't share this to brag, but to encourage other leaders and moms to do it too! I LOVE this program, and I know it is inspired. I PROMISE you will be blessed as you work on these inspired goals. 

Several girls in our ward are passing off goals for their second time around!  I'm so proud of them. In this world of disintegrating families and faith, what a tremendous blessing to have this simple yet powerful program to bring us closer to Christ and help the girls prepare for happy marriage, motherhood, temple blessings, and eternal life with God. 

This blog post got me thinking about the value of leaders leading by example by working on Personal Progress with their girls. Moms totally can too! Although moms who aren't leaders still have to do the full requirements....but that's okay, you'll get all those blessings!

Remember, "Leaders are encouraged to work on Personal Progress along with the young women.  Those who participate in the Personal Progress program themselves understand the program better and set a favorable example for the young women to follow." (From Personal Progress, page 91.)

Noelle Pikus-Pace wore her two Young Women necklaces when photographed for 2014 the Olympics: her torch pendant, and her Young Women recognition medallion for finishing her Personal Progress program. She openly shared her faith, and set a great example for young women around the world!  



Leaders, you and I don't have to be Olympic stars to set a great example for the young women in our wards and families. Let's do this! 

If you dedicate one hour every Sunday afternoon to work on your Personal Progress goals, you'll be surprised how much you can accomplish. Sometimes our family uses family scripture time to study the scripture verses required for one person's goal - whether it be Personal Progress, Faith in God, or Duty to God. We've enjoyed some delicious discussions doing it this way. 

Here's a cool chart we used to help us pace ourselves. It helps us see which experiences can be done in one sitting, which take a couple weeks, a month, or whatever. 


8 comments:

Danielle T James said...

Sis. Edwards, how fun it was to stumble upon your blog when looking for a personal progress tracker for myself to do! I am a Beehive adviser and wanted to work on getting mine done! I will have to read more of your posts! Thanks for sharing this!
Danielle (Elliott) James
-one of your past yw ;)

Tanya Conrad said...

Is it possible to send this to me in a pdf form? Whe I try to copy it, it prints blurry. Thanks!

Anndrea Marchand said...

Can you send me a pdf format of the tracker?

Becky Edwards said...

Andrea,
I didn't create that chart. It is a cool concept, isn't it? If you have someone in your ward YW leadership who is good with creating charts you could print a copy of this and ask them to create one like it. Have fun doing your Personal Progress!
Becky

Tenielle Honeycutt said...

Reading the requirements for leaders, I am having a hard time understanding how many Value Projects we leaders need to complete to earn our YW Recognition. It reads,"Complete three value projects, including the project for virtue." Does that mean 3 projects total including virtue or 3 projects and the project for virtue?

Tenielle Honeycutt said...

Reading the requirements for leaders, I am having a hard time understanding how many Value Projects we leaders need to complete to earn our YW Recognition. It reads,"Complete three value projects, including the project for virtue." Does that mean 3 projects total including virtue or 3 projects and the project for virtue?

Becky Edwards said...

Tenielle,

It's been a while since I've served in the YW and worked on my own PP. But from the wording you just listed, the way I interpret it is the virtue project plus two others. I think they want to make sure everyone does the whole Book of Mormon reading, which makes sense. That's the most powerful conversion tool we have as it brings the Spirit into our lives like virtually nothing else can!

God bless you in your PP journey!
Becky

Lex-a-roo said...

I love this post. Would it be ok if I linked the time tracker graphic on our ward youth blog?
http://sagehillsyouth.blogspot.com/