Friday, September 12, 2014

Megadarra (aka: Super easy, yummy, healthy, low-cost lentil rice dinner)


9 cups water 
2 cups lentils 
1 1/2 cups brown rice 
1/4 cup each: onion powder, beef bouillon, Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce), olive or coconut oil (oil is optional or use less)

Combine everything in a crock pot. Cook on high 5-6 hours. Optional: serve over hot brown rice. 

OR simmer on the stove for about an hour. If you like it soupy leave the lid on the whole time. If you like it thicker, leave the lid off and cook a little longer until it's thicker. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed. 

NOTE: This recipe is meant to be kinda salty. If you like less salty taste, use less Braggs and bouillon. For my large crock pot, I make 1 1/2 times this recipe.  


Here is the simple list of ingredients.
Our favorite bouillon is organic "Better than Bouillon" from Costco.

Mike (my husband) likes his Megadarra over brown rice. I like mine plain. 

My 12-year-old son ate some for dinner and then said, "I can't believe I didn't like this when I was little. This stuff is good!"



For more recipes that are easy, quick, yummy, low-cost, and mostly healthy, click right here.



1 comment:

Melanee Evans said...

Fabulous. I am going to make this this week! Thanks, Becky!