Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Favorite Talk of All Time!


You Were Born to Lead, You Were Born for Glory, By Sheri L. Dew
BYU Devotional, December 9, 2003

This is seriously my favorite talk of all time. I have read it over and over, and I've invited others to read and mark it up. Mine has layers of markings, and has been torn, taped, and re-stapled. And it's not the only copy I've read or from which I've taught. I've had my Young Women class read aloud and mark it as a mutual night. I've assigned it in a discussion group. I just L.O.V.E. this talk. I invite you to print it, read it, mark it, and afterward, write a goal or two of how you'll apply what you learned. Then read it again next year. You'll be glad you did. 




Watch it by clicking on the video below. 





Or read the talk by clicking here.

Since tomorrow is my first of several days of discussing personal revelation in seminary, here is a quote from Sheri's talk about that. 

Because the Holy Ghost will show us everything we should do, it only makes sense to learn how He communicates-or to learn the language of revelation. Our challenge is not getting the Lord to speak to us; our challenge is understanding what He has to say (see D&C 6:14).

I remember a time when I was desperate for guidance on a crucial decision. I had fasted and prayed and been to the temple, but the answer wasn't clear. In frustration I told a friend that I just couldn't get an answer. He responded, simply: "Have you asked the Lord to teach you how He communicates with you?" I hadn't, so I began to pray daily that He would. (emphasis added by Becky.)

Not long thereafter, while reading about Nephi building the ship, I couldn't help but notice how clearly he understood the Lord's instructions. With that, I began to hunt for scriptural evidences of direct communication between God and man. At each one I made a little red x in the margin of my scriptures. Now, many years later, my scriptures are littered with little red x's, each an indication that the Lord does communicate with His people-and often. The scriptures are the handbook for the language of revelation. They are our personal Liahona. If you will regularly immerse yourself in the scriptures, you'll get clearer, more frequent answers to your prayers.




Here's another awesome quote from the talk. 

Repentance is, frankly, just plain smart, because sin makes you stupid: Stupid because you are deaf, dumb, and blind to the ways of the Lord. Stupid because habitual sin drives the Spirit away, leaving you outside the protective influence of the Holy Ghost. Stupid because it makes you incapable of drawing upon the powers of heaven. Being stupid costs a lot.

Sin costs a lot, too. It can cost time, money, peace of mind, progress, self-respect, your integrity and virtue, your family, the trust of those you love, and even your Church membership. Sin is just plain stupid. And the cost is off the charts. So repent now. Repent daily. If you want to be sanctified, repentance is not optional.


1 comment:

Amy and Brent and our lives said...

WOW!!! I love how she says Satan's almost out of time.