Sunday, February 22, 2015

A super cool way to read the Book of Mormon!



I just discovered a treasure. 

It's a blog that walks you through reading the Book of Mormon a little each day for a year. 




Here's the treasure part. 
  • Along with the daily reading, you get an inspiring question to help you ponder and apply a principle from the reading. I get sooooooo much more out of my scripture study if I take the time to write in my scripture journal about something I read. A daily question is great for that! I just realized that a handful of people left comments after today's reading post, so you could do your scripture journaling in a journal or on the blog or both. It's been fun to read others' thoughts about today's reading. 
  • Then you get a General Conference talk to study that teaches more about the day's principle. You could always listen to the talk later while you commute, cook, or clean. 
This is a cool way to study! If I weren't teaching seminary right now, I think I would try reading along with this great blog. I can't imagine the work it takes to choose a great talk each day to go along with that day's scripture reading. Such a treasure! 


Click here for Book of Mormon 365! 

Today is February 22. I wish I would have known about and shared this site on January first when some people start a new book of scripture. You could either jump in on today's reading, or you could hurry and read the first part of the Book of Mormon quickly to catch up and then start using her system. 

Here's an idea if you want to catch up. Today's reading assignment ends on page 84. If you wanted to catch up in a week you could read/listen to 12 pages a day, and add maybe a few more days to catch up to where the site would be then. That sounds like a ton, but it's totally doable if you're dedicated, especially if you use audio scriptures to help you along. If you read a page in about 3 minutes, you could finish 12 pages in 36 minutes. I am usually much slower than that because I stop, ponder, mark, make notes, jot something in my journal. But I can go fast if I let my audio scriptures push me along as I follow along in my book. 


Click here for some quotes about why principles are the main point when we study the scriptures. Below are three of my favorite: 

“One cannot honestly study the scriptures without learning gospel principles because the scriptures have been written to preserve principles.” (President Marion G. Romney, CES Mtg, 8/17/79)

“Principles are concentrated truth, packaged for application to a wide variety of circumstances. A true principle makes decisions clear even under the most confusing and compelling circumstances. ... As you seek spiritual knowledge, search for principles . Carefully separate them from the detail used to explain them. ... It is worth great effort to organize the truth we gather to simple statements of principle.” (Elder Richard G. Scott, “Acquiring Spiritual Knowledge,” Ensign, Nov. 1993)  

When Joseph Smith said his famous quote that "...Man would get nearer to God by abiding by [the Book of Mormon's] precepts, than by any other book,” he didn't say that would happen from reading it. He essentially said we would get nearer to God by applying the principles in the book. Just reading doesn't have the power to bring us nearer to God and change us to be more like Him. 


5 comments:

Christensen Family said...

Blog address?

Becky Edwards said...

Thanks for helping me realize I didn't include a link. It's on there now!

Marilyn said...

Becky, who said that last quote? John Welch?

Becky Edwards said...

Marilyn,
Good question! I didn't clarify that very well. I said it. The quote part is Joseph Smith, and then I just pointed out that we don't receive the blessing by reading the book alone. We must understand and then apply the principles - act on them, live them - in order to receive the blessing of having the Book of Mormon bring closer to the Lord than any other book could. I hope that makes sense! I think it was Hank Smith (a Deseret Book author and youth speaker) who helped point that out. It was a light bulb moment for me. I hadn't thought of that quote that way before, but it's true, isn't it?

Kim Henderson said...

Hello :) the blog address is BOM365.BLOGSPOT.COM. I have absolutely loved this blog and know you too!!