Thursday, March 19, 2015

Fourteen promised blessings of studying the Book of Mormon



At the Temple Square visitors' center you can see Books of Mormon translated into many languages. 


This great quote has FOURTEEN promised blessings of studying the Book of Mormon!  Who wouldn't want these blessings, right?


“I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, 
1) the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. 
2) The spirit of reverence will increase; 
3) mutual respect and 
4) consideration for each other will grow. 
5) The spirit of contention will depart. 
6) Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom.
7) Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. 
8) Righteousness will increase. 
9) Faith, 
10) hope, and 
11) charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake 
12) peace, 
13) joy, and 
14) happiness” 

(President Marion G. Romney, Ensign, May 1980, quoted by President Ezra Taft Benson in "The Book of Mormon—Keystone of Our Religion," Ensign, Nov. 1986. Numbers added). 


Click here to watch or read President Benson's full talk.   





I have experienced the powerful influence of studying the Book of Mormon again and again. 

Even though I have studied the Book of Mormon over and over, and even taught it to my institute class, this powerful book helped me through a small crisis of faith. 

A year and a half ago a person very close to me left the Church over things she had read about Joseph Smith. It rocked my testimony for a bit and I started praying to know what I could do to protect me and my family from what happened to this person her husband, who had been returned missionaries and strong members. 

Soon my son told me about his seminary teacher's invitation to read the whole Book of Mormon in the month of December. I felt like I should take that invitation for myself, even though December is a nutty month for mothers already. I took the challenge, and it was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. I can't read the scriptures quickly, even though I tried. I have to stop and underline, make notes in the margins, and jot down patterns I was noticing in my journal. It was worth every hour. 

It was an amazing, life changing experience. I hope to do it again someday. Even now as I type this I have tears in my eyes, remembering and feeling again the undeniable witness of the Holy Ghost over and over that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It was the VERY BEST thing God could have inspired me to do to re-anchor my faith more deeply than ever before. The fear I felt about "what if that happens to me or my family" completely disappeared. It was gone. And it still is gone. I know it's true deeper than I have ever known it. 

Also, there is a domino affect with the Book of Mormon. 

Once you know the Book of Mormon is truly the word of God, there is a ripple effect of other knowings. If the Book of Mormon is the word of God, then Joseph Smith is a true prophet who was called of God. If that's true, then the Church he restored is God's true church. And the priesthood and temple blessings he restored are true and from God also. Also the prophet today, President Monson, is God's mouthpiece on the earth today. I am so grateful for this book! It's my favorite book on the planet!


What blessings have you noticed from studying the Book of Mormon? 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

What a great post, thanks for sharing this!! I love the idea of reading The Book of Mormon in a month.