Saturday, June 20, 2015

Scripture Feasting Tool #1 - Favorites


This scripture feasting tool is easy and FUN. 

I use an orange colored pencil. Maybe you'll use green. Whatever the color, you're hunting for treasure. Hunt down your favorite verse or two from each chapter and mark it a certain color. 

Why is this such a great scripture study tool? Because it makes you think. And watch. And find. You can't just skim the surface if you're digging for a treasure. It helps you bring the scriptures down into your heart.

Happy treasure hunting. I'll be hunting too.

Here are a few of my faves that I've marked orange. I sometimes rewrite them in my own words in the margin using a phrase that applies to me. 
  • 1 Nephi 3:7 - God will always prepare a way for me to obey what He asked me to do. 
  • 1 Nephi 4:3 and 6-7 - Because God helped our ancestors we know He will help us too. Even if I don't know how it will work out, I can move forward knowing the Spirit will guide me and God will help me. 
  • Moroni 7:48 - I need to pray fervently for the gift of charity. 
  • Luke 1:37 - With God all things are possible, even if they look impossible. 


Page 8 of my Book of Mormon is marked with orange for my three favorite verses in that chapter: 1 Nephi 4:3 and 6-7. Just a note. Because I am currently doing a summer 90-day Book of Mormon challenge (which you're welcome to join me!) most of my examples of these tools will be from the Book of Mormon. 

If you want to get even more from this tool, here are a few tips. 
  • Write your very, very faves on a list in the front or back flap of your scriptures.
  • Memorize one or more of your most inspiring faves. Elder Scott said, "Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change" (Ensign, Nov. 2011).
  • Pull out a journal and jot a few sentences of why you like this verse or what it means to you. Writing helps the scriptures become a tool to receive personal revelation. 


If you want to get the 25 tools, feel free to subscribe to my blog or my Facebook page. 

No comments: