Friday, June 26, 2015

Scripture Feasting Tool #3 - Circles and Boxes


Grab your favorite pen (here is mine) and have some fun drawing circles and boxes in your scriptures. 

Look for one liners, which are short, simple phrases that carry a lot of power.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell said, "The scriptures contain so many jewels over which we pass too lightly, especially some stunning one-liners" ("Unto This Very Purpose"). 
What one-liner that stands out to you in 1 Nephi 7:21? 
And it came to pass that I did frankly forgive them all that they had done, and I did exhort them that they would pray unto the Lord their God for forgiveness. And it came to pass that they did so. And after they had done praying unto the Lord we did again travel on our journey towards the tent of our father.
The one-liner that stood out to me was "I did frankly forgive them." Nephi was amazing. His brothers had just tried to kill him by binding and leaving him in the wilderness to be eaten by wild beasts. Once Nephi received God's help to get free from the ropes, do you think Nephi yelled at his brothers? Do you think he planned revenge? Do you think he pouted and gave them the silent treatment for a month? Nope. He simply forgave. That's a one-liner worth circling and using in your life. Of course I'm not advocating staying in an abusive relationship! The Lord eventually told Nephi to leave to protect himself. But forgiveness is not optional even when it's really hard, and Nephi sets a stellar example of that here.


I circled "I did frankly forgive" in 1 Nephi 7:21.  
What one-liner stands out to you in Genesis 39:7-8? 
And it came to pass after these things, that his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me. But he refused, and said unto his master’s wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand;
I like the phrase, "But he refused." It gives us strength that no matter how strong a temptation is, if Joseph of Egypt refused it, so can we. One liners are great to memorize too. They're short, power-packed, and bring a lot of strength to get through challenging times. 

You can also use circles to mark keywords and phrases. 

In Doctrine and Covenants 121:37 I circled some keywords and phrases that describe how NOT to be a righteous priesthood holder.

One more shape I use is boxes to highlight a new person the scriptures are talking about.


 Here in 2 Nephi chapters one and two I drew boxes to clarify that it was Zoram's turn to get some last words from Lehi before he died, and then it was Jacob speaking at the beginning of chapter two. 

In your scripture study today, see if you kind find any one-liners or keywords to circle. Feel free to share one that you circled in a comment below! 

No comments: