Use a manual or commentary to dig deeper and understand better. After trying quite a few, here are my two favorites.
1. Institute Student Manuals
Here are a few other resources for finding more understanding about what you're studying in the scriptures.
- Scripture discussions on Youtube from BYU Professors.
- General Conference talks or devotionals about the subject you're studying.
- Scriptures.byu.edu lists all the times a verse has been used in a Conference talk.
- Study by topic on LDS.org.
- This post had some other ideas for books to help you get more from the scriptures.