Monday, January 11, 2016

Healthy Almond Joy... Heavenly!



One of my goals right now is to eat 90% whole, clean foods each day. 

I said 90% to give myself some wiggle room for my sweet tooth. Guess what? Now that I have a batch of these on hand (they freeze great for a daily chocolate fix) I have begun eating 100% whole, clean foods! Yes!


Healthy Almond Joy

Ideally all the ingredients are raw, but it will work either way. All the ingredients can be found at a health food store or on Amazon. 

1 cup coconut oil
1 cup agave or maple syrup
3/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder 
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (I also added a little to the top for decor)
1 1/2 cups chopped almonds (I used 1 cup almonds and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds)

If the coconut oil is solid, warm it in a sink of hot water enough to melt it. Pour it into a blender and add cocoa powder and sweetener. Blend until smooth, scraping edges as needed. Pour mixture into a bowl and stir in nuts and coconut. Spread into an 8x8 inch glass backing dish. If desired sprinkle extra coconut on the top for prettiness. Chill for an hour or so. Cut into squares. 

These freeze great with a wax or parchment paper between layers for a daily healthy chocolate fix! You can double the recipe for a 9x13 inch pan. 

Leave a comment below to let us know how you like these!  We served them to dinner guests last night who prefer non-sugar treats and they went "nuts" over them! He he...

2 comments:

it's just lisa said...

Yum! Just made them... They are great.

Becky Edwards said...

Oh good, I'm glad you liked them!