Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Sweet Potato Souffle - Best Thanksgiving Dish Ever


This recipe is so delicious I haven't been allowed to bring anything else to the Johnston Thanksgiving family reunion since 2002. 

That's fine with me. I make it once a year and we LOVE it! Even people who never liked yams before get giddy when they see me walk in the door holding a pan of this. I normally prepare whole foods almost all the time, but this is a once-a-year exception that's well worth it! 

This is a picture of the sweet potato souffle just before cooking.
Sweet potato souffle just before cooking. 

The topping carmelizes into this amazing crunchy, sweet, dessert. People think this is a side dish... they're fooling you. It's dessert. 


Can you tell how loved this recipe card is?  The red column is our half-pan gluten-free recipe.  

Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe 

6 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed*
1 1/2 cups sugar 
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons real vanilla 
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 eggs 
1 cup evaporated milk 

Topping

1 1/2 cups brown sugar 
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans 
1/2 cup flour 
1/2 cup shredded coconut 
3/4 cup melted butter 

1. Bake five large yams at 350 degrees for two hours on a cookie sheet until soft when poked with a fork. Peel. Mash and measure. 

2. Combine ingredients in the first list and mix with electric mixer until fluffy. Spread in 9x13" pan. 

3. Mix topping ingredients. Use fingers to sprinkle topping over yam mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until you find the same done fluffy texture in the middle as the edges when a bit is pulled up with a fork. 

*Note: Six cups sweet potatoes is approximately five large yams. We use the ones that are dark orange inside with with pointed ends. 


There's quite the controversy about the difference between yams and sweet potatoes. A quick Google search will give you a variety of opinions. So I'm posting a picture to help you know which sweet potatoes I use. 



A few pictures of our early Johnston Thanksgiving family reunion last weekend. 

Here is my family, reunited after our son Adam's two-year mission to Paris, France, at our extended family Thanksgiving dinner on the weekend before Thanksgiving. We're only missing our teen daughter who was speaking at a Lionheart event, and our son-in-law who was working. I'm grateful for my family! 

My daughter Malia and I didn't plan it, but we dressed alike! She is expecting baby girl number three in early January, and we can hardly wait to meet that little bundle of joy!


My favorite Aunt Jani in the whole wide world. She and I both wore polka dots too! 


Grand babies make Thanksgiving even sweeter. Just look at that cutie pie. 

Our other granddaughter loving on her uncle, after asking, "Gramma, can I take a quick lil' ride in your 'Burban?" How can a gramma say no to that! 


No comments: