Sunday, March 19, 2017

Seven amazing lessons I learned from this painting experience at our retreat


video

Oh. My. Goodness. This group painting experience is something I will never forget. 

If I get to take one earthly possession with me to heaven, can I take this one?  The video shares these lessons I learned from this fun, sacred, and symbolic experience. 

1. Each person is needed.

2. Every painting has an awkward phase.

3. Hand the paintbrush over to the Master Painter. 

4. Opposition makes the light brighter. 

5. It takes longer but the results are more beautiful. 

6. Stay close to the Master Painter, ask for instructions, and listen. 

Bonus lesson I remembered after making the video

7. With oil painting, you can have as many do-overs as you choose. 
Watercolor isn't that way -- once the paint is on the paper, it's there to stay. But oils can be scraped off, painted over, blended, and they take weeks to dry. Even years later you can go back and change things. What a powerful analogy for the Atonement. We can have a do-over any moment we choose. 

Here is a post about the retreat. 

No comments: